Paper jams can basically happen to any printer when the paper suddenly got stuck in the middle of printing, if you use your printer every time you will encounter this issue more likely and this can be very frustrating when you are in the middle of printing something important. Paper jam error can be caused mechanically and sometimes due to software issues.
Different printer models also differ on resolving this issue, for now we will focus on Brother laser printers. To sum it up you can fix the paper jam error by checking the paper trays, toner cartridge, drum unit and other parts of the printer.
Basically you just need to carefully remove the stuck paper from the printer manually to clear the paper jam error but if the error still shows there may be a small piece of paper stuck inside your Brother printer.
Here are the steps you can try first to remove the remaining paper inside the printer.
- Lift the scanner cover of the printer by grasping the plastic tabs on both sides.
- Check where the print head is positioned. If it is in the center, proceed to Step 3. If it is on the right corner, you need to hold down the Stop/Exit button until the print head positions itself to the center.
- Unplug your printer from the power source.
- Move the print head carefully using your fingers to remove the remaining paper, if the paper is too small, you can use tweezers.
- Gently close the scanner cover.
- Plug the printer back to the power source. Check if this resolves the issue.
If the above steps did not resolve the issue you can check the following fixes to help you with the paper jam error.
Removing Jammed Paper from Toner Cartridge & Drum Unit.
- Turn off the printer for 15 minutes. This is for the printer to cool down for a bit, laser printers tend to get warm from printing and it's not safe to do any fixing when internal parts are still warm.
- Remove the top cover of the printer and remove visible jammed paper.
- Remove the toner cartridge and drum unit of the Brother laser printer.
- You can now remove jammed paper in this area and then put back the removed parts correctly.
- Close the top cover of your printer.
- Press the Clear button and do a test print to check if the error has been solved.
Removing Parts of the Printer to Check For Jammed Paper
Sometimes pieces of paper can go to the internal parts of the printer. In this instance you need to check the whole part of the printer.
- Open the cover of the printer and leave it for 10 minutes to cool down.
- As mentioned above, remove the toner cartridge and drum unit and remove any visible paper.
- Now remove the duplex tray of the printer and check for any jammed paper.
- Place back the duplex tray and other removed parts back correctly to the printer.
- Do a test print to check if the error has been solved.
If the above steps still don’t fix the paper jam problem, there might be a problem with the “PE Actuator”, it is small white plastic in between the gray rollers and check if the PE Actuator is not removed or does not have cracks or any signs of damage. If it has refer immediately to the Brother’s website for support.