How to Reset and Extend the Toner of Your Brother HL-3170CDW Printer?
Anyone who owns a laser printer has wondered at some point if their toner can be fully maximized; squeeze every bit of usable toner left until it’s all used up. From a consumer’s perspective, it’s just being practical; getting your money’s worth because a single cartridge can be expensive. For the toners of your Brother HL-3170CDW color laser printer, you can. Sure, it has duplex printing and wireless printing capability like any most color laser printer. But when you need to extend the black and color toner, you can expect a few hundreds or more pages before the low toner warning flashes again.
Resetting means tricking your printer that you have installed a new toner but before you reset, you need to:
- Cancel or finish all printing jobs first before proceeding to the next step.
- Make sure your printer is NOT in sleep mode.
Optional Step 1: Self-Cleaning
Your Brother HL-3170CDW printer has a self-cleaning mechanism that cleans the drive belt, also known as the waste box. Open the front cover then close it and you will hear a whirring sound. After the whirring sound, close the cover for a few seconds then open the front cover again. Repeat the process for at least 3 times.
Optional Step 2: Manually Clean the Transfer Belt / Drive Belt
CAUTION: Before attempting this procedure make sure you are wearing a mask to avoid inhaling the toner particles that can be hazardous to your health. Perform this step in a well-ventilated area to blow away the toner particles away from you. DO NOT TOUCH OR ATTEMPT TO CLEAN the belt with your bare hands.
Remove the belt and blow away the streaks using a compressed air blower to remove the excess toner. Observe utmost care in handling the seals located at both ends of the belt. Do not use an alcohol-based solution to clean as it can damage the belt and distort the print output.
After cleaning and returning the belt, run a test print and ensure a clean print output.
Resetting the Toner Counter
- When the message “Replace toner cartridge” appears, open the front cover and leave it open or slightly open for a while.
- When the “Cover is Open, Close the Top Cover” message appears, press and hold both “Secure” and “X Cancel” buttons simultaneously. Make sure both buttons are pressed at the same time.
- After pressing both buttons, a Reset Menu will appear. Select the cartridge you want to reset by using the arrow keys of the printer then press “OK”.
- Press the up arrow with (+) symbol to reset the cartridge.
- Close the printer cover and the message “Please Wait” will appear. Wait for several seconds to initialize.
- Once reset is selected you will see “Ready” message on the display.
There you have it. You have just extended the toner’s capacity from your Brother HL-3170CDW.