Here we are again with our solutions to common printer problems. If you read numerous printer troubleshooting articles and blogs, you might notice recommendations such as running a printer test page before and after performing the fix. Why is that? What is so important about a test page that we have to run it every time we encounter trouble.
A printer test page one of the best and most effective way (not to mention the easiest) to assess and calibrate your printer performance. It also tests the connection between your printer and computer. By running the test, the page shows any problem with the print – streaks, blurs, missing color/s, or no prints at all. You can easily indicate what proper should be done to resolve the issue. But first, let me teach you how to run a printer test page on your Windows.
How to print a test page from Windows:
- Go to Devices and Printers.
- Choose your printer model and right click to open drop down.
- Click Printer Properties.
- Select Print Test Page and click OK.
- A test print will be sent to your printer.
How to print test page from Mac OS:
- Open Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- Click on Print & Fax and select your printer model.
- Select Open Print Queue and run Print Test Page.
- Before running the test print, you calibrate the color of your prints by changing the setting.
- You can opt to print in color or gray scale and even adjust the thickness or lining of the print.
- Make sure to choose the right paper size for the test print and feed the same size of paper into the feeder.
If you find a problem with the test print, resolve accordingly.
Test prints also contain toner or ink levels. If they happen to indicate low level, you can opt to replace them or run them until they get empty. Remember, running a test page may be different depending on your version of Windows – the above is for Epson and Windows 10. But really, there’s not much of a difference. If your printer has LCD control panel, you can actually run automatically from there. Just remember the basics that it should be connected to your computer and wireless connection if it is wireless.